Understanding the origin, structure and contents of the Medicare Part D data is essential to designing a successful research project. This workshop will familiarize the audience with the Medicare Part D program design and its impact on what we see in the data and the inference that is possible.
Why You Should Attend this Workshop
Your team has given you the task of answering a research question using Medicare administrative data, and you want to understand the underlying structure and how to interpret what you see.
You believe that Medicare administrative data may answer your research question, and you want to understand the strengths and limitations of the data
- Understand the design of the Medicare Part D Program
- Know how Part D event data are transmitted from plans to CMS and ultimately into Research Files
- Be able to use the Master Beneficiary Summary file (MBSF) for demographic, enrollment and plan characteristics files, as well as how to link to other files for more information
- Be familiar with the content of the Part D Event and Characteristics Files
- Understand issues involved with the use of Part D data for research
- Begin to appreciate the types of research that can be done using the Medicare Part D data
- Understand the requirements of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for obtaining and using Part D data