As a Technical Advisor you’ll join our team of epidemiologists, public health specialists, health services researchers, biostatisticians, and health informatics specialists who have primary responsibility for providing advice to researchers from around the nation. ResDAC is the initial point of contact for any researcher in the public, private and government sectors who are seeking information about accessing and using the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) administrative data to study a range of topics such as health outcomes, policy, and economics. Based on your review of researchers’ study proposals, you will recommend the most appropriate CMS data files. As a new Technical Advisor, you’ll be part of a comprehensive training program on the use of the CMS data.
This position requires the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and the ability to work within a diverse environment. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with curiosity about research, technical aptitude and a strong desire to learn new skills.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Use CMS data to help researchers understand the data (10%);
- Research and answer complex questions regarding CMS data (20%);
- Create educational materials to assist external researchers and/or ResDAC staff. This may include analyzing data, writing technical documents, and developing and delivering online webinars (5%);
- Conduct an independent and detailed technical review of researchers’ proposals for Medicare and Medicaid data and provide feedback to researchers (20%);
- Provide individual technical consultation and assistance through phone, email, or online to researchers nationwide interested in Medicare and Medicaid data for research (20%);
- Act as a researcher liaison and advocate with CMS and other CMS contractors to resolve data related questions (20%);
- Develop and facilitate online and in-person training sessions for internal ResDAC staff and faculty, as well as external researchers (5%).