This workshop will introduce the use of Medicare administrative data for research. The course will cover the origin, flow, quality and research applications of Medicare data. The workshop is designed for individuals who have a research background (basic epidemiological/statistical concepts and interpretation such as numerator, denominator, rates, correlation, p-values) with experience in health services (either clinical or research). There is no charge for the workshop.
- Understand the basic structure and content of the Medicare program: entitlement, enrollment, benefits and coverage.
- Know how billing data are generated and moved into the CMS administrative data system, and how this affects the quality of specific data elements.
- Be familiar with the various administrative data files CMS/CCW provides for research and the potential uses of these files for research.
- Be able to use Medicare enrollment information to define study populations, identifying target populations, and calculating rates.
- Experience the identification of healthcare use in CMS/CCW administrative data from MedPAR, outpatient, and carrier files.
If you have questions about registering for our workshops, please contact Stephanie Jarosek at firstname.lastname@example.org.