The Inpatient file contains final action fee-for-service claims data submitted by inpatient hospital providers for reimbursement of facility costs. Medicare Institutional provider numbers are not encrypted; however, physician identifiers, e.g. NPIs or UPINs are encrypted.
This file includes:
- diagnosis (ICD-9 diagnosis),
- procedure (ICD-9 procedure code),
- Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Group (MS-DRG),
- dates of service,
- reimbursement amount,
- hospital provider number, and
- beneficiary demographic information
Additionally, this file includes revenue center information. The Revenue Center Codes provide details on charges, such as those for emergency room (ER) and emergency department (ED) charges.
Why do researchers request this file?
• Clinical outcome studies that require diagnosis and procedure codes or length of hospital stay
• Evaluations of cost, including charges and Medicare program payments
• Analysis of specific service utilization by charge amount, such as emergency room use
Need to link IP data to other utilization file types and enrollment data