Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS)
The Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS) is a multipurpose survey of a nationally representative sample of Medicare beneficiaries. The MCBS data contain the following information:
- socioeconomic and demographic characteristics
- health status and functioning
- health care use and expenditures
- health insurance coverage, including Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance
- Medicare claims for survey participants
The MCBS is available as two separate modules, the Access to Care and the Cost and Use. The two modules contain some overlapping information, but do differ in some important ways. Please see the specific module pages for more information. Note that both modules come with matched Medicare claims for MCBS participants. The MCBS is $600 per module per year.